How to Help Refugees
As most of us know, recent events in Afghanistan have resulted in a number of displaced people seeking refuge from a homeland that is not longer safe for them. Some of those people are on their way to Arizona and need our support. Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest (LSS-SW) expects to be providing services to 200 such families in the near future here in the Phoenix area.
As part of the Northeast Valley Consortium of Lutheran Churches and working with LSS-SW, there are many ways we can help support new refugees. By providing Goods and/or Services to our new neighbors, we are providing a foundation for a successful transition into empowerment and self-sufficiency.
A Provider of Goods might do any of the following:
- Donate household furniture in good (undamaged) condition.
- Purchase new items as needed. Here’s a link to LSS-SW’s Amazon Wish List.
- Purchase gifts cards to Walmart, Fry’s, and Safeway to allow refugees to purchase items that they need upon arrival.
- Donate Cash. You can donate to our Refugee Support fund
- Sunday Offering – indicate Refugee Support on envelope or check
- Mail your check to the church office – 15152 N. Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, Scottsdale, AZ 85260 (indicate Refugee Support).
Provider of Services might do any of the following:
- Visit your family on a weekly basis for a least the first 3-4 weeks.
- Take the family grocery shopping.
- Take the family shopping for clothes.
- Help the family to visit a local bank and set up accounts.
- Plus a variety of other tasks.
For a complete list of Services to help refugees, check out Suggested Activities for Refugee Co-Sponsors provided by LSS-SW.
If you feel the Spirit calling you to help refugees or need a little more information, contact one of the following
The Northeast Valley Consortium of Lutheran Churches includes